On 09/24/2014 01:43 PM, Brian wrote:
On Wed 24 Sep 2014 at 12:33:35 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

Look at it this way: If GNU wanted to stick stuff into their compiler
to reduce the utility of Linux, they would have done so years ago. They
never have. Redhat just did, bigtime.

This is the Red Hat Conspiracy Theory. Does the promotion of blatent FUD
ever stop? Why is it necessary to have to have a bogeyman?

This is interesting on the gcc thread:
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1407.3/02593.html
"For cases where it's really critical that userspace know whether a
particular kernel bug or feature is present, one of the tricks I use
is the presence or absense of a file in /sys/fs/ext4/features. That
way, userspace can reliably detect if feature or bug fix is present,
without relying solely on a version check which doesn't take into
account enterprise distro backports."

I have three files there-
ric@iam:/sys/fs/ext4/features$ ls
batched_discard  lazy_itable_init  meta_bg_resize
ric@iam:/sys/fs/ext4/features$

Is this what he refers to? :) Ric

Linux user# 44256