On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 12:28:34 +0300 Andrei POPESCU sent:

> On Lu, 06 oct 14, 17:12:36, Charlie wrote:
> >
> > So I only asked because I thought that everything in the
> > netinstall.iso was self contained till it hit the part where a
> > mirror was sought, and then it would update and upgrade itself from
> > that source? Obviously incorrect I see now. So sorry for the
> > question.
>
> In principle yes, the netinstall is self-contained and can install a
> bootable system without internet connection. However, if a connection
> is available the installer will try to update your system during the
> installation.
>
> If you're confident enough in your abilities to connect a minimal
> Debian to the network you could just install without any connection
> and upgrade later.

Thanks Andrei,

Thinking back, I know why it seemed I should plug into an Ethernet
cable. Because I didn't know this laptop, and when it came to.......
what? Configure your network, or something like that, I should remember
what that actually said. I've installed often enough, but probably do
too much knowing what it means without knowing what it said?

Anyway, the message was that no network hardware was found? I thought
wooooooo. No Ethernet and no wireless. What's happening?

I once worked on a computer, all in one desktop thing by Acer [though
this lappy was a Dell] that lost its Ethernet connection. Couldn't get
it working Did my head in till I assumed it was cactus.

So I told the people to get a wireless router, because it had a
wireless card as well. Long story short, I couldn't connect to the
wireless router either? Damn.

Turned out, it was an Ethernet/wireless card in one, discovered after
much hunting on the web using my laptop through their wireless router.
If one, either wireless or Ethernet was broken, both didn't work. Crazy.
Repaired under warranty. But frustrated me as i worked through all the
checks and then didn't believe it because I thought it would be two
adapters, on one. What are the chances of two adapters/cards going
belly up?

But I thought this might be another like this. Plugged in the Ethernet
cable and suddenly The installer found the Ethernet card. I left
the cable in. But thanks for the advice, next time I'll pull it and
install without getting onto the net.

Be well,
Charlie
--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524

        Knowledge rests not on truth alone, but upon error also. - Carl
        G. Jung