On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 02:48:55PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 19:02:08 +0100 Martin Read <zen75...@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 12/10/14 18:13, John Hasler wrote:
> > > You have no problem with an 1800 line function?
> > I have a problem with 1800 line functions in general;
> I have no problem with an 1800 line function.

*What* 1800 line function? The commit URI that was shared was an 1894-line
*file* with a large function definition starting at line 638 and ending at
1890. That's a 1252-line function.

Not only that but you're looking at a commit dating from August last year. The
function doesn't even exist any more in current systemd[1]. There are no
functions of even a 100 lines length in that file now.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/core/dbus-manager.c

> What I *DO* have a problem with is the guy's welding pam onto his new init,
> and welding other critical and former separate OS functionalities onto his
> "toolset", preventing (either technically or by them being removed from the
> packages) former modules from being used.

Which guy is that? The commit that the URI referenced was written by Lennart
Poettering, so I guess you mean him; but that commit didn't touch the file that
was being complained about. Maybe you mean one of the other 17 people who have
contributed to that file?

> If I were to maintain his code, before reducing the 1800 line function, I'd
> do something about the function with 20 arguments, with each argument
> including a function call. I'd replace all of that with a struct pointer.

I'd start with *reading the code* if I were you; something you guys clearly
aren't doing.

But if you get past that you'll be pleased to discover that such clean ups and
refactors are happening quite often. See e.g.
df2d202e6ed4001a21c6512c244acad5d4706c87 ("bus: let's simplify things by
getting rid of unnecessary bus parameters"). I'll leave you to guess the author
of that one.

--
Jonathan Dowland