On Thu 16 Oct 2014 at 14:08:47 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

> > From: "Marty" <mar...@ix.netcom.com>
> >
> > It seems like free software employment and market share come with
> > increasing risk to objectivity and technical quality. It's my main
> > concern as a Debian user, as I consider recent trends.
> >
> > I hope that Debian members consider an amendment to restrict voting
> > rights for members who have a financial interest in Debian or in any
> > project used by Debian, to promote and protect the public interest.
>
> Conflicts of interest are not just financial.  Even an unpaid
> developer should probably not be voting as a technical committee
> member on whether to make his project the Debian default.  He could
> vote for his project because of the glory that comes with being the
> Debian default.  Or maybe he truly believes it is the best.  But he
> knows his project better than any of the alternatives.  He is invested
> in it.  He should be the expert petitioning the decision-makers, but
> he should not be one of the decision-makers.
>
> I really think this concept is obvious and was really surprised that
> Debian allowed a vote for default init system to occur in a technical
> committee whose members have vested interests in one init system or
> another.

CONGRATULATIONS.

You have won the 'Nudge Nudge. Wink Wink' prize for this week's postings
on debian-user. You are entitled to a free copy of 'How I Noshed Systemd'
published by the Unrealistic Press. An email with download details will
follow shortly.

Meanwhile, would you employ your skills to analyse this text? [1]:

    I don't agree with that conclusion.

    When it comes to technology choices, you win some and you
    lose some.  If upstart wins, I will be happy.  If systemd
    wins, I will also be happy, because it's long overdue that
    Debian *make a decision*; and for all that there are aspects
    of systemd that make me uncomfortable, it will still be far
    better than the status quo.

Looks ok, doesn't it? But - an upstart supporter mentioning systemd.
There must be a financial consideration involved or something fishy.
You will get to the heart of it. Systemd better? How can he think
that?

Bugger any consideration of his integrity and his standing in Debian.
Just go for him.

This is particularly important because we are somewhat low on facts so
anything which keeps the pot boiling and disrupts the usual business in
debian-user is to our advantage.

[1] Seen in #727708.