On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 03:24:32AM +0200, lee wrote:

> Klensin                     Standards Track                    [Page 71]
>

> RFC 5321                          SMTP                      October 2008
>

>    if this address is null ("<>"), the receiver-SMTP MUST NOT send a
>    notification."
>

> This clearly tells you that you *must not* drop or otherwise loose a
> message once you have accepted it and that you *must* send a bounce when
> the message can not be delivered.

Is a bounce not some sort of notification. The above could easily be read as
do nothing, don't bother the sender at all.

> Please do configure your MTAs accordingly.
>
> And that includes whoever runs this mailing list: When you block

The MTA accepts them OK, no problem there.

> messages, the senders must be informed that the delivery to the list has
> failed.  --- I cannot verify whether messages sent to this list have
> been silently dropped.

The policy of MLs or forums has got nothing to do with MTA
configuration. The policy is implemented in either the mailing list
software (mailman, majordomo, etc) or the forum bulletin board software.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X