On 10/20/2014 7:18 AM, Joe <j...@jretrading.com> wrote:
> I think it's generally an admonishment not to get involved in relaying.

No, it is generally an admonishment not to get involved with relaying if
you do not have *access* to validate recipients.

There are multiple ways this can be achieved.

Easiest is what postfix calls 'recipient verification'.

Or you could script a way to get a locally held list.

> The point of relaying is that the original sender cannot directly reach
> the recipient's authoritative mail server, in which case it can't
> generally query for recipient validity.

This is only generally true for *outbound* mail.

I'm talking mainly about acting as an *inbound* relay, meaning, an
inbound MX for any given domain(s).

> If a relaying server does not hold a list of valid recipients for the
> authoritative server, and that's usually difficult to maintain,

Maybe, but again, you can always just use recipient verification (with
permission - this is the postfix term, or use the equiv for whatever
SMTP server you are using).

If whoever you are acting as MX for won't let you perform recipient
verification, then you shouldn't be acting as their MX. Period.