Le mardi, 11 novembre 2014, 20.08:08 st a écrit :
> Hans wrote:
>  > I just wanted to show ways, where EVERYONE might be happy
>
> Sure. Sure. Everybody who has invested years into learning
> Debian is just jumping of joy now that it is suddenly turned
> into a completely different OS _and_ they have to find another
> Unix _and_ learn it almost from scratch _and_ figure out a way
> to seamlessly migrate their servers and desktops and stuff.

Debian was always and will always stay both free of charge and provided
without warranty of any sort (besides the Social Contract). Your servers
and desktops and stuff were running a full operating system stack
absolutely for free, and the Debian project is both happy and proud of
that fact.

Debian also was always and will always stay technically defined by those
volunteering to make it what it is. By extension, it is explicitly not
defined by those not putting work (but only words) into it; unmaintained
software and code paths are routinely removed when not enough volunteers
keep the things working, and that's a good thing.

Blaming the Debian project for letting the Debian distribution evolve in
ways defined by its volunteers is unfair. Furthermore, Debian has always
let people wanting to improve things do their work within the project
(wherever possible in terms of collaboration with others, of course),
aka "scratching their itch".

It's been repeated many times already, but I'll try again: people
expecting Jessie to work as best as they hoped wit sysvinit should have
tested Jessie as early as possible (they should still do it now!) and
reported useful bugs wherever they were encountering them. Debian
maintainers put effort where they see fit (according to the
Constitution's §2.1.1) and there's nothing in the project's structures
imposing work on anyone, that's absolutely central to a project where
people are not bound to work through a paycheck but by motivation.
Claiming "I will take Jessie when released and complain that it doesn't
do what I expect it to do if need be" is totally missing the point of a
volunteer-run distribution such as Debian.

That some people have built expectations of eternal immobilism on future
Debian releases cannot be Debian's responsibility; Debian must be (and
will be) able to continue drawing its own path as defined by those
putting work in it. If you don't like that path, roll your sleeves up,
and make the changes you wish to see in Debian! If it's not possible in
Debian, by all means, please fork or derive from Debian to create your
own flavour of the Debian distribution, taking what you find best in it
and leaving aside what you don't want! Debian is an extraordinary
coordinated collection of Free Software, that is available for you to
take and modify as you see fit; please make the best use of that
freedom!

Thanks for reading so far,
OdyX