Paul E Condon:

> I also track some daily stock prices using gnuplot. I
> want to keep that going, generating a new plot every
> time I download new data. Of the several backports,
> I think one is intended to be the survivor when Jessie
> is actually released. Which one is that? Or is there
> a dark horse that might be a better choise?

I have the impression you don't really know what a backport is in the
context of Debian.

A backport is a package of a recent software version built for a stable
Debian release. This is done because some people want or need recent
versions of some packages in Debian stable while Debian stable only
usually only receives minor upgrades.

Regarding your question: gnuplot is the same version in both testing
(jessie) and unstable (sid) so there isn't really much choice which
version to use on jessie:

$ apt-cache policy gnuplot
gnuplot:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.6.6-1
  Version table:
     4.6.6-1 0
        500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages

Since jessie is already frozen and this version does not have any
release-critical bugs I am quite confident that this is exactly the same
version that is going to be included when jessie becomes stable.

J.
--
When I get home from the supermarket I don't know what to do with all the
plastic.