Yes!  That seems to be the culprit.  I ran an strace on the sendmail
process and that's exactly what happens:

[ ... ]
4007  15:09:08.386921 connect(5, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(113),
sin_addr=inet_addr("10.3.1.40")}, 16 <unfinished ...>
3792  15:09:13.386272 <... select resumed> ) = 0 (Timeout)
[ ... ]

Where 10.3.1.40 is the IP of the client PC.  So now I just need to dig into
the config and figure out how to stop it.  Thanks!

--
Dave Parker
Systems Administrator