Hi.

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 02:03:25PM +0000, Michael Grant wrote:
> I'm still searching for an answer to this.
>
> After upgrade from wheezy to testing, sendmail no longer starts.
>
> I see that the system is using systemd.  I see that the /etc/init.d/sendmail
> script now runs /bin/systemctl start sendmail.service.  But sendmail isn't
> started.  Even running '/bin/systemctl start sendmail.service' manually,
> nothing happens.

A nessesary correction - /etc/init.d/sendmail *tries* to run
'/bin/systemctl start sendmail.service'.

But, since no sendmail* package provide systemd's service file -
nothing happens.

Such behaviour cannot be considered systemd's bug IMO - systemd simply
does what it's intended to do in this case.

But, at the same time, such behaviour can be considered as a sendmail
bug (given that systemd is Jessie's default init, and sendmail is not
starting with this init).

Still, there's a way to workaround this.

Try adding

export _SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT="true"

to /etc/init.d/sendmail

Reco