songbird wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Following previous suggestions installed both xdm and kdm.  If
> > default-display-manager is set to xdm when xdm is started I get the
> > Debian login window and can only login as root. The login is successful
> > to the gnome desktop. Tried to switch users but could not. Exited.
>
>   ok, so root works under xdm.

Which means it is not an X problem and not a system level problem.
Which means the problem is probably something related to the desktop
in the user $HOME/.config and other files.

If you create a fresh pristine new user "anothertom" or some such does
it all work for that new user?  If so then the problem is not system
related but corruption of files in the $HOME.

Bob