On Mon, 09 Feb 2015, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Try this:  Reboot.  When you get the black screen, hit CTL-ALT-BKSPC
> > simultaneously.  This should shutdown the X-Server and drop you to
> > a terminal.  If it doesn't, post back here with the details.  This
> > should be a root terminal. Read the output on the screen as to what
> > went wrong.
>
> Note that X now by default disables control-alt-backspace now.  This
> is an Ubuntu page but it documents it.

Right.  I forgot.  You're using Jessie.  Another "improvement."

Why do these people need to "fix" things that aren't broken?
"They" rationalize saying it's to prevent people from "accidentally"
shutting down X (or whatever) and loosing data.  I say: "You can't fix
stupid!"

>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgCtrlAltBackspace
>
> Meanwhile it can be enabled again.  I always enable it.  Along with
> setting a Compose key.  I will throw that in here as a freebie.

That key-combo has been my lifeline.  Got used to having to manually
configuring X years ago when I used Fedora Core. The installer always
read my video hardware wrong and configured X wrong.  Useless Black
screen. So, hit the ol' key-combo, drop to the boot terminal, fix it.
Now, I just set up my systems to boot to a terminal: login, and run
startx when I want a GUI -- usually just a window manager and a panel
with menus.  KISS.

>   setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -option compose:menu -option
> terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

I'll add that to my Dirty Little Tricks bag.  Thanks.