On Mon, 09 Feb 2015, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > That's odd.  Works on my Wheezy 7 64-bit install.  Always has.
> > Used it numerous times during the initial X
> > set-up/config/shakedown.  I didn't manually enable it either. Of
> > course, my system isn't stock.
>
> Perhaps you have it configured that way?

I didn't do anything.  Just let the installer pick the keyboard type,
etc. during the initial install. (It picked correctly, by the way.)
Here's /etc/default/keyboard:

======================= >8 ++++++++++++++++++++++

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"

======================== >8 ======================

That's it.  No local user keyboard configs that I can find.

>   $ grep XKBOPTIONS /etc/default/keyboard | grep --color terminate
>   XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
>
> > Started with a bare minimum, terminal only net install, then built
> > up from there, piece by piece, but never installed a "formal"
> > desktop just a window manager and LXPanel.
>
> That sounds perfectly fine.  I wouldn't quote "formal".  I would quote
> it as "heavy". :-)

I was just being polite. ;-)

> > Maybe, the key-combo disabling is done as part of a/any desktop
> > install. Don't install a desktop environment, combo not turned off.
>
> It probably also depends upon if you are using 'console-tools' or
> 'kbd'.  If you have a long upgraded system you may be using
> console-tools as that was the previous default.  Newly installed
> systems in Squeeze 6 have kbd.  I am still using console-tools in
> Wheezy 7 as I had issues with kbd.  In Jessie 8 this has been moved
> into the 'keyboard-configuration' package.  It seems to be in the
> middle of a slow thrash.

Never installed console-tools.  And it isn't installed.  However kbd is.
Probably as a dependency.  I didn't manually install it.  However, all
but three entries are commented out in /etc/kbd/config.  None of which
have anything to do with key combos.

Still think the key disabling is a consequence of installing a desktop
environment.  The powers that be don't want you using it to shutdown X
and quit the desktop (for whatever reasons).  However, if you haven't
installed any of the environments, the combo doesn't get disabled, even
if you have installed X and a window manager. Just a theory.