Quoting Charles Blair (c-bl...@illinois.edu):
> > Personally, I would chown -R user.user the files and directory
> > tree-tops I was going to move. That sorts out the permissions
> > change. Then I would mv -i ... /home/user (the -i is habit, like
> > with rm -i). Because of the directory recursion, it might take a
> > while, so mv -iv will give a screaming list of files moved.
>
>    I used chown -R user:user . at the top of /root/.cache,
> /root/.mozilla, and /root/.claws-mail.  When I typed
> mv -iv ./.cache /home/<username>, it refused to do anything
> because there was already a .cache there.

Well, the idea outlined above depended on adding a new user to take
over the role of running things that shouldn't be run as root. Sorry
if I didn't make that clear enough in the previous post to that
quoted, not knowing that you were going to attempt to merge things
with a preexisting user.

> In a reckless mood,
> I used rm -R and rmdir to get rid of /home/<user>/.cache,
> and then used mv -iv to move .cache from /root.  I did the
> same with .claws-mail and .mozilla.

I can't understand why you rm things. Why not mv them? Then you can
restore all or parts of them, or just pick over them later.

Ironically, I mentioned that the "-i" in mv -i was redundant because I
thought you were moving files into the newly created and virtually
empty directory.

Unfortunately I don't know what's gone missing from your user's mail
and browser. It should be just configuration stuff which can be re-set
up. .cache shouldn't matter at all as applications should just
recreate it as and when required.

> Some du and df output
> after these operations is shown below.

/ certainly looks healthier.

>    When I typed apt-get update, it seemed to begin as
> desired, but quickly stopped with the message
>
> >  Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.
> > PermissionsInvalid: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct

Take a look at ls -l /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/
The permissions should be
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root messagebus [...] dbus-daemon-launch-helper
Have they changed, and to what?

Cheers,
David.