On Tuesday 24 February 2015 12:19:13 Ric Moore wrote:
> On 02/24/2015 11:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>

> Gene, I hesitate to ask, but I must. Have you tried this page?
> http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&com
>ple=on&redirect=on
>
> Hope that helps, Ric

It might have Ric, not fully tested.  They now have an installer so I grabbed
it and ran it. the other two driver files and ran the installer.  Now to see
if okular, evince etc behaves.

No change, both evince and okular show duplex as disabled. I did set it in
localhost:631/printers/printer/set defaults.  No problem there.  It will
print a cups test page ok, and the colors look ok in the wheel there. But no
other app can detect that it is duplex capable.

Its becoming a pisser that will make me install something else in another week
if it cannot be solved.  Entirely too much of wheezy is busted. I had to
install TDE to get a working kmail. I can't print duplex on a printer that by
the time I brought spare toners for, dropped my card balance a bit north of
$800.

Screw it, bug filed against cups-common for lack of a suitable place to point
a finger at.  Hell it might even be the somewhere below the KT boundary
version of libpoppler wheezy uses, somebody did mention it, once as not being
capable of duplex processing.  I did find a slightly newer one, but not as
fresh as what ubuntu-10.04.4 LTS uses, but I have no clue how to link it in
to test it since there are 8 varieties/variations of that library installed
right now.  And I have no clue which cups is using for its pdf to image
processor.  I'll check the dependencies.  cups says poppler-utils>=0.12, and
0.18 is installed.  So where does one point  the finger at?

Clue that didn't make it into the bug reporty: go into the ppd, and edit the
characters 'BR' out of all the duplex strings.

THEN okular/evince etc CAN see the duplex stuff ok, but when you check it to
be used, I still got 88 pages of a nut-ups manual, printed single sided.

Some sort of a string missmatch is at the heart of this? DamnedifIknow...

If the bugreporter sends me an email for clarification I'll add that little
detail.

Thanks Ric.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)