On Wednesday 25 February 2015 10:03:31 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2015 14:46:36 Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 25 Feb 2015 at 15:27:44 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:

> > > No need :)
> > >
> > > I have a 14.10 machine right here, and there is no driver for his
> > > printer there. I've checked.
> >
> > Not surprising; the licence for the Brother software doesn't permit
> > distribution.
So my posting the ppd is a known copyright violation?  Oh shit...

> Then it can't have been in Lucid either, surely?

The driver was then available on the support.brother.com web page, now its 2
years old so they hid it, but the installer script I also posted, and which
is likely a copyright violation too, can still get it and install it.  CUPS
recognizes the duplex options and can control them, and I just found the open
office  printer dialog does too, but haven't found a suitable document for a
test print from OO, it doesn't seem to want to load and display a .pdf.

> > The lack of advice on the HL-3170CDW at openprinting is an indication
> > that no user of it has added any, not a judgement on whether it works
> > on Linux.
>
> Yes, but if there had been advice it woudl have been useful.
>
> So do you agree with Gene that it is a Wheezy bug?
>
> Lisi

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)