On Saturday 04 April 2015 01:44:46 David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Gene Heskett (ghesk...@wdtv.com):
> > >
> > > No - it is another Gene special.
> > >
> > > Lisi
> >
> > Two great countries, Lisi, separated by a common language.
> >
> > The abbreviation 'equ' has been in common use on this side of the pond in
> > technical literature such as service manuals for at least 65 years that
> > I personally know of.
> >
> > A Common Language indeed. :)
>
> I must admit I'm getting fed up with having to keep
> http://www.acronymfinder.com/ open all the time for the likes of swag sob
> tbe pima vswr cf idk cet adat to quote a few. (And often there are *too
> many* matches for convenience.)

I failed on some of that!!

> English is my mother tongue, which helps,

No, I think it is a hindrance where Gene is concerned.  He simply refuses to
communucate in the English that the rest of us talk.  And because it is our
native tongue we expect to understand it.  A non-native speaker who couldn't
understand, would accept it and (erroneously) put it down to his/her lack of
knowledge of the language.

I think he takes some sort of pride in knowing all this abstruse language, and
he certainly doesn't actually want to communicate.  I have to look vast
amounts up in his emails, and I too am a native speaker.  Even after looking
up, I often don't understand - or pick what he later claims was the wrong
expansion of an acronym. I too am fed up with it.

Why can't he actually type out these awful jargon acronyms?  And avoid this
extra abstruse vocabulary?  Because we might actually understand if he did,
and writing stuff we can't understand seems to make him feel superior.

But this is the English language list,  Perhaps we should insist on a known
dialect of English, that is spoken by more than one person.

Lisi