On Saturday 04 April 2015 05:05:43 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 04 April 2015 08:01:30 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > C.E.T., Certified Electronics Technician, I am one, registered as
> > NEB-118.  That card, dropped on the HR department desk when the
> > department is looking to hire an electronics technician, raises
> > eyebrows AND the salary that will be offered, considerably as it
> > says the carrier of that card does know what he is talking about and
> > can do the job.
>
> Sorry, Gene.  What you say here may be true, but it means absolutely
> nothing to most of us on this list.

That particular item is an American-ism.  OTOH, I'd expect that there are
similar programs for professionals that are fairly widely spread.

Shysters in the business have caused a demand for some sort of a testing
program and certifications for those that pass.  In some states you
cannot get a business and tax license for your business without it by
state law. California was one such early adopter, and opening a fly by
night shop without the certification has been felony there since before
I was last there when the '70's were wearing down.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the British (and the EU by
inference) have a similar program, but probably under an obviously
British name locally to Britain, and one I might not recognize in print
or spoken.

> It still means nothing to me, I'm
> afraid.  You have the qualification required for the job you do.  So,
> I would think, have most of us.
>
> Lisi

Absolutely Lisi. No one knows better than I that there is no one on the
planet who knows everything.  But collectively, these lists, this one
included, where everyone knows something, there are enough somebodies
that the collective IQ is mind boggling.  Way above me, thats for sure.
I am sorry if I don't say so often enough.

A message that contains a tidbit of information I might find useful at
some point in the future, gets marked as important just so kmail doesn't
expire it.  Since I didn't join until early February this year, there
are at least 25 such messages saved & probably ought to be a hundred
more because I didn't recognize the importance of it at the time.  That
is 100% my problem if I let something go by without recognizing it.

That happens, more frequently than I like to admit, but there it is.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)