On 17/04/2015, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.oto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015-04-16, Bret Busby <bret.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 17/04/2015, Ric Moore <wayward4...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> Have you tried "catalyst" for the AMD setup?? Under AMD Mobility
>>> Product Family your 6000 series is listed.
>>> http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-9LINReleaseNotes.aspx
>>>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I assume something bad is in the source code of that web page (it is
>> aspx, so, proprietary MS stuff), but, with two web browsers - Arora
>> and rekonq, running on Debian 6, I can only see a bit at the op of the
>> web page - no scroll bar or any way to get to the important stuff
>> lower down on the web page.
>>
>> Publishing a web page about Linux stuff, in MS only format, is a bit
>> weird.
>>
>> It is kind of like the manuafacturer (AMD) wants to hide its Linux
>> stuff, from Linux users.
>
> It is nothing of the sort. The site Works fine in iceweasel on jessie.
> It should work on wheezy, which has the same version of iceweasel, too.
>
> Any browser you run in squeeze was EOL'ed years ago, from a security
> perspective if nothing else.

What it comes down to, has nothing to do with the version number of Debian.

What it came down to, is, the web page bien aspx shite, it requires
javascript (javashite).

I installed a 12.x version of opera (from my Debian 6 desktop system),
on this (Debian 7, running on the Acer E5-521-238Q) system,  and left
javascript enabled, and the web page works.

In going to the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit option, as such packages are
usually .deb packages, and so, tend to work on Debian (which is how I
got Seamonkey installed and working on this system, from an old
version of Seamonkey.deb, that I had obtained), I downloaded and tried
to install the package.

I got a dependency problem;
"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: fglrx-core"

So, I seached in Synaptic, for fglrx, and found

fglrx-driver;

"
non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver

FGLRX / AMD Catalyst is the non-free proprietary display driver for the
ATI/AMD RadeonHD and FireGL graphics cards. As an alternative, you may try
the newest free driver xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

This driver release supports the following graphics adapter families:
AMD Radeon HD 7000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, and AMD Radeon HD 5000.
"

So, I searched within Synaptic, for xserver-xorg-video-radeon .

I found that xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon, are
already installed.

The first has, in its package description;

"
X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper

This package provides the 'ati' driver for the AMD/ATI Mach64, Rage128,
Radeon, FireGL, FireMV, FirePro and FireStream series. This driver is
actually a wrapper that loads one of the 'mach64', 'r128' or 'radeon'
sub-drivers depending on the hardware.
These sub-drivers are brought through package dependencies.

Users of Rage, Mach, or Radeon boards may remove this package only if
they use Driver "r128", "mach64", or "radeon" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
instead of relying on autodetection.
"

and, for the secomd;

"
X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver

This package provides the 'radeon' driver for the AMD/ATI cards. The
following chips should be supported: R100, RV100, RS100, RV200, RS200,
RS250, R200, RV250, RV280, RS300, RS350, RS400/RS480, R300, R350, R360,
RV350, RV360, RV370, RV380, RV410, R420, R423/R430, R480/R481,
RV505/RV515/RV516/RV550, R520, RV530/RV560, RV570/R580,
RS600/RS690/RS740, R600, RV610/RV630, RV620/RV635, RV670, RS780/RS880,
RV710/RV730, RV740/RV770/RV790, CEDAR, REDWOOD, JUNIPER, CYPRESS,
HEMLOCK, PALM, SUMO/SUMO2, BARTS, TURKS, CAICOS, CAYMAN, ARUBA.
"

So, for Debian 7, two driver packages for AMD/ATI Radeon video things,
were already installed, but, they, apparently, do not cover the
applicable video controller.

And, the manufacturer's driver, apparently, can not be installed, due to
"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: fglrx-core"

The Synaptic list of packages, returned in searching for fglrx, does
not include the unsatisfiable dependency package; fglrx-core.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."