On 05/30/2015 01:54 PM, Matthijs Wensveen wrote:

glx-alternative-nvidia being a virtual package, strikes me as odd.
It just whirrs a bit and sets alternatives for GLX libs to nvidia directories rather than Mesa, and then goes away. It's like oatmeal in the morning, it's always there. :) Ric

p/s If the OP has one of the newest nVidia cards, there are some laptop issues requiring more than plain nvidia drivers. I forget the name of the special install system. But, the Op can just go to the nvidia site for more info on his card's driver requirements

Or, he could rip out ALL nvidia installed packages, (apt-get purge nvidia*) to create a clean slate, and re-install. I've had to resort to that more than once over the years. Be sure to keep a copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf somewhere safe, like the /home/$USERNAME directory, in case you need it again.

http://linuxconfig.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-jessie-linux-8-64bit

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html