On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 23:09:42 +0200
notoneofmyseeds <notoneofmyse...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 06/10/2015 01:41 PM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > Another illustration of this:
> >
> > "Another effective [debugging] technique is to explain your code to
> > someone else. This will often cause you to explain the bug to yourself.
> > Sometimes it takes no more than a few sentences, followed by an
> > embarrassed "Never mind, I see what's wrong. Sorry to bother you." This
> > works remarkably well; you can even use non-programmers as listeners.
> > One university computer center kept a teddy bear near the help desk.
> > Students with mysterious bugs were required to explain them to the bear
> > before they could speak to a human counselor."
> Well noted. And many thanks. It's either this, or I walk away for a
> while. But I find that hard to do, believing that, just one more try and
> it will work; just a sec that turns into days.

yes - normally asking the list after giving it the old college try is a good
thing.

except when it comes to cups, then crying for help immediately gets a free pass
in my opinion.

i have had similar miserable experiences setting up cups and my printer has a
driver FROM THE MANUFACTURER FOR CUPS.  does it work ? hell no.  had to use the
open source driver.

in fact, it's broken right now because i refuse to step back into that quagmire.

Brian