On 19/06/2015, Bret Busby <bret.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "
>>> -Ubuntu-12-04LTS:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
>>> ii  nvidia-331                                  331.113-0ubuntu0.0.0.3
>>>              NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU
>>> library
>>> ii  nvidia-331-updates                          331.113-0ubuntu0.0.0.3
>>>              NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU
>>> library
>>> ii  nvidia-common                               1:0.2.44.2
>>>              Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
>>> ii  nvidia-prime                                0.5~hybrid0.0.3
>>>              Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
>>> ii  nvidia-settings                             331.20-0ubuntu0.0.1
>>>              Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
>>> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-Ubuntu-12-04LTS:~$ apt-cache policy
>

> I apologise - I appear to have lost the plot and simply got too confused.
>
> I think this is what was sought;
>
> "
> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-Ubuntu-12-04LTS:~$ apt-cache policy nvidia-331
> nvidia-331:
>   Installed: 331.113-0ubuntu0.0.0.3
>   Candidate: 331.113-0ubuntu0.0.0.3
>   Version table:
>  *** 331.113-0ubuntu0.0.0.3 0
>         500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> precise-updates/restricted amd64 Packages
>         500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> precise-security/restricted amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> "
>

>> And from Debian 6;
>>
>> "
>> root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
>> rc  nvidia-glx                               195.36.31-6squeeze2
>>         NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
>> rc  nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-amd64
>> 195.36.31+4+6squeeze2+2.6.32-45   NVIDIA binary kernel module for
>> Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64
>> "
>>
>> "
>> root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# apt-cache policy
>
> Similarly, obtaining and sending that, was apparently erroneous, with
> what I believe was sought, was instead thus;
>

>> "
>> root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# apt-cache policy nvidia-195
>> N: Unable to locate package nvidia-195
>> root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# apt-cache policy nvidia-195.36.31
>> N: Unable to locate package nvidia-195.36.31
>> N: Couldn't find any package by regex 'nvidia-195.36.31'
>> "
>>

> I apologise again - I appear to have got too confused.

And, on Debian 6 running on the Acer 5750G, with (I believe) an  in
board Intel HD graphics device in addition to the nvidia geforce
gt520m, is

"
root@bret-apc01-debian6:~# dpkg -l | grep nvidia
root@bret-apc01-debian6:~#
"

So, the Debian 6 installation on the Acer 5750G, with (I believe) an
in board Intel HD graphics device in addition to the nvidia geforce
gt520m, appears  to me, to not detect the nvidia device, and simply
uses the inboard Intel HD device, to successfully drive the external
monitor.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale