On 15-06-21 11:52 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> do I need to remove/purge NetworkManager Applet 0.9.10.0 to manually
>> > configure my interfaces?
> It is not necessary.  However I recommend doing so anyway.
>
> It is not necessary because NetworkManager and wicd ignore any
> interface with a configuration in /etc/network/interfaces.  They
> determine that there is no explicit configuration and then assume
> control of the interface.  If you create an explicit configuration
> they will not control it.
>
> However there is a little bit of a chicken-and-egg startup problem.
> Initially they will control the interface and there won't be an
> explicit configuration for it.  You need to shut them down before
> adding an explicit configuration.  Not doing this can cause problems
> where NM is *still* controlling it from before, along with the
> explicit configuration trying to control it.  Of course rebooting
> after setting up an explicit configuration should reset everything.
>
> I still recommend removing NetworkManager because I have too many
> times had NM break the network on upgrades.  Expecially when
> connecting to the system remotely with ssh that is unacceptable to
> have NM break the network connection to it.
>
> For a mobile device and graphical interactive control I use and
> recommend wicd.
Thanks for your recommendation. If what I want to do does not work, I
will install wicd instead.
>> > I'm using a laptop and want the wifi to go online, but the ethernet to stay
>> > on a different lan networks, actually two different networks. And I worry
>> > how to proceed with such a configuration. Ideas?
> This description is ambiguous.  Please say more?
>
> Bob
I have three separate networks, ip addresses, etc.
One wireless and two hard wired, ethernet.
The wireless must connect to the internet.
As is necessary, I will need to physically swap the ethernet cables
between networks.
And when I do this, hope to be connected to a respective network based
on my explicit rules.
I hope this can work. And I hope I have explained a bit more enough.
Are there rules I must follow to do this properly. As I've tried before
without success.
Thanks for your help.