Thanks for all of the  useful feedback.  Some of the constraints which
were not clear  from my original post are  that the venue specifically
requested that  programming be  included.  I don't  see that as  a bad
thing as long as the programming is a couple of lightweight exercises.
I am  also glad to  see that there  is some healthy discussion  of the
language choice which  might indicate that there is  not necessarily a
best answer.

The library venue does not  have UNIX machines available at this time.
Plus,  I  would like  the  participants to  have  easy  access to  the
environment  outside  of  the  Library's  operating  hours.   Maybe  a
solution  is  to  give  participants  options.  The  Live  CDs  sounds
interesting, but then all configuration  is lost, I think, when the CD
is rebooted?   VMs are also a  good alternative, but in  the past, the
environment was sluggish and peripherals were sometimes a challenge.

I am still  not convinced that $350 will be a  major obstacle.  I have
spent that just on texts years  ago, but realistically cost is a major
concern.  Perhaps  the best  feedback I might  get are  from potential
participants.  Maybe  I can  get some relevant  surveys going  to help
answer some of these questions  for our specific venue.  Your feedback
is really helping  to target the potential survey  questions, I think,
although that was not my original intent.

Thank you so much for all  the great feedback.  It is really helpful I
think.

Regards,

marc

--