On Saturday 25 July 2015 20:08:34 Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2015, Iain M Conochie wrote:
> >> No. This is an incorrect response.
> >
> > Really?
>
> Um...your own homework, below, suggests that ntp is
> not the only package that performs the task in
> question. Since ntpdate does not depend on ntp, then I
> have to say, simply REALLY!

But ntpdate is only used at bootup, once. The machine can and will drift.

Running ntp as a daemon, it checks the round trip time and initially
adjusts the time to within a few milliseconds of NBS time, trimming the
clocks own tick so that its initial every 3 or 4 minute checks can be
reduced to 30 minutes or so after a few hours.  And you are always on
time.

> > apt-cache search ntp | grep ^ntp
> > ntp - Network Time Protocol daemon and utility programs
> > ntp-doc - Network Time Protocol documentation
> > ntpdate - client for setting system time from NTP servers
> > ntpstat - show network time protocol (ntp) status
>
> My beef here is with the original respondent, whose
> glib one work reply ("ntp") suggested that was the
> be-all and end-all of the question.

It is, once ntpdate has slammed the correct time into the system at boot
time, then ntp takes over.

> I have run out of
> patience with the self-appointed experts on this list
> who are clearly suffering from delusions of adequacy,
> if not outright IQ insufficiency.

Insults not called for Bob. I suggest you study the appropriate manpages
to learn how this works IF you want to do it right.

> --
> I am not a loony.  Why should I be tarred with the epithet
> 'loony' merely because I have a pet halibut?  I've heard
> tell that Sir Gerald Nabarro has a pet prawn called Simon
> - you wouldn't call him a loony!

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)