> On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 20:28:21 +0100, Brian wrote:

> Your problem (please correct me if I have not understood what you said)
> is that applications, Iceweasel, Evince etc, still see HP_LaserJet_1020
> after the server is closed down.

No, I meant: the server usually stays on until I go to bed, but the printer is
switched off right away as soon as I no longer use it.
Clients still see that printer, even after I switched it off.
And: they also see that printer, if only the server started, with the printer
still beeing switched off.
>> BrowseAllow Server1
>> BrowsePoll Server1:631
>
> Into unknown territory! What's wrong with the defaults? Your server is
> advertising; the default 'BrowseRemoteProtocols dnssd cups' on the
> clientworks well, What need is there for these?

One problem here: The advertising with the default values doesn't work since
every line responsible for "Browsing" is disabled with a comment. For
advertising to work on the client, I need at least one valid line with either
the Printserver IP or the Printserver Hostname or the Printserver Subnet.

> You have a reason for this? One which stands up to scrutiny?

Nope, let's remove this then, it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

> What versions of cups are running on the clients?

Debian/Jessie on client & sever > 1.7.5
This means: it is newer than 1.6 thus needs the cups-browsed package to
advertise network printers, right?
A question here: Do I need  to install it on the server as well? Because like I
explained I only changed the client configuration, but I changed nothing on the
server, which means: I  installed both cups & cups-browsed there as well, but
left the configuration unchanged as far as configuring the printer using the
cups webinterface goes:
> Find printer > select recommended driver > add printer > select share this
> printer > save changes > cups restarted.
I'm not even sure I absolutely need cups on the client ... it might be enough
to have cups-browsed installed there, in order to find my network printer.
Can you elaborate on the role cups and cups-browsed share these days? Do both
services have to run on client AND server?
Because there is one other thing I noticed:
apt-cache show cups-browsed
Package: cups-browsedSource: cups-filtersVersion: 1.0.61-5Installed-Size:
191Maintainer: Debian Printing Team
<debian-print...@lists.debian.org>Architecture: amd64Depends: libavahi-client3
(>= 0.6.16), libavahi-common3 (>= 0.6.16), libavahi-glib1 (>= 0.6.16), libc6
(>= 2.4), libcups2 (>= 1.6.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0), init-system-helpers
(>= 1.18~)Recommends: avahi-daemon (>= 0.6.31-3~)Enhances: cups
cups is not a dependency here, it's considered an enhancement... it might be
worth a try to remove cups on the client ... I never connect printers there,
they will never offer a printer, but  always will have to discover a network
printer.