> >>       Don't we mean: firmware.  Nonfree firmware was removed from
> >>       Debian main for some silly reason.  A lot of hardware needs it
> >>       to function.
> >>

> >> I agree.  Having to install the firmware manually to get X11 working is
> >> bit Arthur Tuttlesque.
> >>
> >> Why not go the whole hog and install Gentoo instead?
> >>
> >> MF
> >>

> Well, you get what you pay for. If you want the free beer, you have to
> stand in line, and you have to put up with the advertising, and  with
> all that comes with the free beer.

​I see the manual installation of the firmware I did after adding the
non-free option in the source file ​as being like putting on a free pair of
spectacles and turning on the the non-free option in the installer as being
similar to adorning a free prosthetic leg.

For me, normal use of the non-free stuff is a bit like choosing to use an
umbrella ie useful but non essential that has a designer label printed on
it etc. Or not if that is your choice.

But maybe this is not the correct way to think about this.....

MF