On 28 July 2015 at 18:06, Erwan David <er...@rail.eu.org> wrote:

> Le 28/07/2015 18:16, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
> > On Tuesday 28 July 2015 16:54:12 Michael Fothergill wrote:
> >> For me, normal use of the non-free stuff is a bit like choosing to use
> an
> >> umbrella ie useful but non essential that has a designer label printed
> on
> >> it etc. Or not if that is your choice.
> > It depends.  If you want to use a particular computer, it may be
> essential in
> > the installer.  Using that computer is, of course, possibly like
> choosing a
> > designer umbrella.
> >
> > Lisi
> >

> I'd rather say that finding a computer which does not need any
> proprietary firmware, but is available on the market would be the
> biggest problem.

When I said that​​ I saw the manual installation of the firmware( so that
X11 could work)  I did after adding the non-free option in the source file
​as being like putting on a free pair of spectacles, I meant that I felt
like Thelma Dinkley until I had solved this problem......

Whereas when I said that turning on the the non-free option in the
installer was similar to adorning a free prosthetic leg, I meant that if I
were unfortunate to have purchased a computer that needed the firmware in
the installer enabled then I would have felt like Long John Silver or
Captain Hook and could not ambulate the OS installation properly without a
better prosthetic leg than these characters possessed in reality.

If it is true that most computers do infact require non-free firmware then
most users are going to have the Scooby Doo experience and some will be end
up being pirates as well but perhaps not entirely involuntarily so......

I thought that you would only graduate to the umbrella stage once you had
found your sea legs and spectacles as it were.......

MF