On Sun 16 Aug 2015 at 14:04:18 +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:31:32PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > This file is a non-Debian file. It is not needed for the simple task at
> > hand. I doubt it would ever be needed.
>
> That's right: according to Debian Policy, files in /etc are the sysadmin's
> realm. That's me, on my machine :-)

The OP is trying to accomplish something which is within the rights of a
user. What advantage is to be gained from using the root account?

> > There is rarely any need to alter any of the scripts in Xsession.d or
> > add to the number there. Everything a user wants to do can be done in
> > $HOME. Debian's X configuration is very flexible.
>
> It didn't read my $HOME/.Xmodmap. I wanted it to do this. The place to
> achieve that is in Xsession.d. What would you propose as an alternative?

~/.xsessionrc or possibly ~/.Xresources. I've not tried the latter file.
You could probably source ~/.Xmodmap from ~/.xsessionrc.

> Yes, there's an $HOME/.xsessionrc. I could stick everything into that.
>
> > bri...@aracnet.com has give a good account of how to use a ~/.xsession.
> > Unfortunately, it is probably not suitable to put xmodmap commands (or
> > any other commands) in it without starting a window manager also.
>
> Should work too (my file is called ~/.xsessionrc, though)

I feel as though I'm missing something here. :)

> > The solution is to put the commands Thomas Schmit has provided in a
> > created ~/.xsessionrc. A two-minute (not two-year) job. :)
>
> See above. It's a two minute job any way you slice it :-)

The difference is two minutes in an account a user can completely
control as opposed to two minutes in one which is intended for altering
things system wide.

> > All DMs read the files in /etc/X11/Xsession and, by extension. the user
> > provided ones. But a user might feel more comfortable using the DE
> > facilities.
>
> I've had mixed experiences under Gnome (the DE regularly resetting things
> I'd set via xmodmap, taking the values out of some gconf-y key-value
> store). But YMMV.

If ~/,xsessionrc was ignored it would be a bug. On the other hand, I
would think that if the same thing was set within gnome it would have
precedence.