On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 01:41:02PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

[...]

> Hello.
>
> Unfortunately, like with many other message boxes/dialogue boxes,
> copying and pasting, is not possible.
>
> In the particular message box, is
>
> "
> Wrote output to the file
> /home/bret/.xmodmap-bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE-1504
>
> You should modify your login script to include a line like
> xmodmap ~/.xmodmap-`uname-n`

Aha. Thanks for the extra info. Now I know more:

xmodmap is talking to your X server. That means that it'd make sense to issue
that command once, after having started the X server (or, if you have more than
one, for each server).

Note that all the .bash_login etc. have't much relevance here, since you don't
usually start the X sever from a shell these days anymore.

Now different desktop environments have different ways to achieve that. I run
a pretty classical setup (no desktop environment at all, Fvwm as window
manager).

In my case, the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d are arranged to load those
user bits which are to be done once at the start of the X session. Especially
for xmodmap, there's this snippet in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80x11xmodmap:

=============
# 2015-01-10 tomas: why did they steal my xmodmap?
# Snarfed from <http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=77008>

# This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.

SYSMODMAP="/etc/X11/Xmodmap"
USRMODMAP="$HOME/.Xmodmap"

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
    if [ -f "$SYSMODMAP" ]; then
        xmodmap "$SYSMODMAP"
    fi

    if [ -f "$USRMODMAP" ]; then
        xmodmap "$USRMODMAP"
    fi
fi
=============

(seems I stubled upon that some moons ago and was somewhat upset. I forgot
since ;-)

Note that the syntax of the files "loaded" by xmodmap is slightly different to
what you'd have to write when issuing individual xmodmap commands.

This is just one way to achieve that. You might as well hard-wire the commands
into your /etc/X11/Xsession

Again, your desktop environment might provide other mechanisms for doing things
"at start of the X session" -- or perhaps other mechanisms to change the key
mappings.

Regards
- -- tomás