> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:58:41PM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> 4. My brother in law paid me $25/hour to install some Macintosh
  ^^^
> computers in elementary & kindergarten classrooms, and hook them up to
> the internet.  That was totally wierd, going back to those little desks
> and water fountains.  A girl I knew from high school was the teacher.
> Wierd! (but fun).
>
> 4. I learned long, long ago that you cannot be Santa Claus with family
  ^^^
> or friends or even small-time clients: as everyone here has said, they
> will bug the shit out of you and you will eventually stop being friends
> or will be upset with your clients.  Keep your expectations small and
> you can make some pocket money and have some great life experiences.

Another lesson learnt here: stay off the pot. At a later age you
will not be able to count past 4. :-) just couldn't help it.

Anyway, interesting thread for me. In januari i'm going to be out of
a job. My current employer wanted me to travel every day (it would
have taken me 4 hours a day in total) to a customer to do stuff
i wasn't hired for and didn't interest me too. This because of the fact
that webrelated business was down. So i said that if this
was the way the company was heading, my work wasn't going to be fun
anymore and that i rather had that they would fire me.
That way, i am still eligible for wellfare.

So here i am, checking out the possibilities of doing something similar
to Vikki. I'm currently checking if there is a market for such a thing.
I would be primarily interested in providing service (problem solving).
Also, basic security, networking stuff, webpages, java programming and
so on. And this for the small businesses.
We'll see. I still have time until January :)

Benedict