On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 04:04:57PM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:36:29AM -0800, Tom wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:35:39PM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> >
> > I have mixed feelings.  One the one hand, I read about China's opium
> > wars in the 1800s, and see a failed people resulting from "legalizing
> > it."  On the other hand, I see a drug which causes people to fight,
> > crash their cars, and beat their kids (alcohol) completely normalized.

Not to be too much of a nit, but China's opium problems, and the Opium
Wars, were mostly courtesey of the British, who were the pushers,
dealers, and instigators of the whole affair, including the various
skirmishes and battles.  The situation back then was quite far from
'legalizing it', and was much closer to the way drugs move in the U.S.
today, with foreign governments handling production and [illegal]
distribution, and with the U.S. government fighting a loosing battle
against them.

--
Don Werve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Unix System Administrator)