Felix Miata composed on 2015-10-23 15:08 (UTC-0400):

> Felix Miata composed on 2015-10-21 18:02 (UTC-0400):

>> All my many installations are seriously multiboot, with typically no less
>> than 10 distro installations within a HD's first year of use, and upwards of
>> 30 partitions as HD warranty becomes a distant memory.

>> In order to Keep It (multiboot) Stupidly Simple, most booting here is via
>> Grub 0.97.x. So as a first attempt to revert from grub2 to grub-legacy I've
>> been trying with a 64 bit intel CPU wheezy installation on host msi85. I did
>> apt-get purge of os-prober and everything I could identify as related to
>> grub2, rebooted, then tried apt-get install grub-legacy. That pulled in
>> grub-common, claiming to have installed both. But, nothing reached
>> /boot/grub/.
>> Enabling use as bootloader on the / partition can be a simple matter
>> of creating a menu.lst and running setup from the grub shell. Thus, I rarely
>> make use of any grub scripts personally managing multiboot configuration.
>> When I first tried to run grub from root shell in wheezy, first command
>> attempted, as suggested by grub's man page, is find /boot/grub/stage1. This
>> listed the first 3 instances, (hd0,0), (hd0,1), (hd0,7), then hung. I aborted
>> with Ctrl-C, then rebooted after disconnecting hd1, and tried again, reaching
>> same hang. Anyone know whether this hang would be a bug, known or previously
>> unknown, or some pre-configuration or configuration required in a debian that
>> isn't necessary in an rpm distro? I tried searching on bugs.debian.org, but
>> as a 15 year user of various Bugzillas, I'm not making much sense of how the
>> search by keyword(s) process is supposed to work on
>> https://www.debian.org/Bugs/. I get an error message "An error occurred.
>> Error was: You have to choose something to select by " but with no sign of
>> what mandatory select list I'm missing.

>> I tried running setup for wheezy from a grub> shell in openSUSE 13.1, but
>> attempting to chainload boot from it, it only does

>>      chainloader (hd0,14)+1
>>      GRUB Loading stage2..

>> and locks up the machine.

>> I tried repeating setup from LMDE2 Betsy like I tried in openSUSE, but it
>> hangs sooner than it did in wheezy, simply by hitting <return> after typing
>> find /boot/grub/stage1. I tried to chroot to wheezy from lmde to run grub
>> shell, but it hangs after showing instance 3 (hd0,7) same as run booting
>> wheezy directly.

> After perusing /usr/sbin/grub-install, as suggested by first thread response,
> I tried:

>       # grub-install /dev/sda15

> The entire result is:

>       Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
>       _

> IOW, grub-install hangs in like manner to running setup from the grub>
> prompt. Ctrl-Fn works. And after waiting about 5 minutes hoping some loop
> might timeout, Ctrl-C succeeded to abort the script. Nothing shows up in
> [...]

Apparently lack of EXT4 support in grub-legacy on Debian is multifaceted. By
first moving the installation to an EXT3 partition, then skipping the grub
shell confirmation step (find /boot/grub/stage1), both root and setup can
perform their functions correctly, installing grub to the PBR, to which
chainloading works as expected.

Now if only I could figure out how to get /boot/message to be recognized and
used after 'aptitude install gfxboot'. :-p

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/