On Wednesday 18 November 2015 14:24:17 Alex Vong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Next time please send your email to <debian-user@lists.debian.org> for
> user questions, thanks! (You can also CC me since I don't subscribe
> the debian-user list.)
>
> To watch <http://www.bbc.com/news/10462520>, first install youtube-dl:
> $ apt-get install youtube-dl

Or just install flashplugin-nonfree with Iceweasel, or watch with Google
Chrome.  I'm sure plenty of other things work, but I know those do.  I watch
that news-site all the time, several times a day most days, and browse over
the whole site; sometimes just to see if there has been a new newsflash on an
important story.  Think of the disk-space needed if I were to download
everything every time!

It runs fine without a problem, without all the hoops.  The BBC generally
makes any downloading a PITA, though I haven't tried this method.  And you
don't need a media player.  Just a browser.  What a rigmarole just to watch
the news!!!

Alex, do you download every website before looking at it? :-/

> I suggest you to install vlc as well if you don't have a preferred
> media player yet:
> $ apt-get install vlc

Install vlc by all means.  But just use a browser to watch the BBC news.

Lisi

> Now, you can download the video by:
> $ youtube-dl http://www.bbc.com/news/10462520
>
> You can read the documentation of youtube-dl by going to
> <https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl>.
>
> The following is the real command I use (with additional flags if needed):
> $ youtube-dl --prefer-free-formats -o "%(title)s.%(ext)s"
> <URL-OF-THE-VIDEO>
>
> Feel free to reply if this doesn't work for you.

I'd be interested to know if it does!!