On 08/02/16 09:20, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> You shouldn't have to "eject" it all.  Just plug it in and when done,
> pull it out. The system should mount and unmount it automatically. We're
> not talking Windows here.

We're not talking DOS either.

Windows 98 might've written data synchronously to USB devices, but with
flash having limited erase/program cycles[1], modern operating
systems[2] stores a cache of data to be written to the device.

This is only written to the storage device:
- if the `sync` command is run
- if the device is unmounted
- when sufficient data is in the cache to make a write worthwhile
- if mounted with the 'sync' option: on every write

Unless you've configured your system to mount the filesystem with -o
sync, assuming that hitting save in your application means the file's
written to disk right there and then is a very dangerous assumption to
make, and one that will bite you hard in the bum some day.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

1. getting better but nowhere near the longevity of magnetic storage
2. including Windows NT v5.0 (aka Windows 2000) onwards and every
version of Linux I've used since kernel 2.0.  Probably before too.