On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 17:15, Justin Burke wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I could use some help getting Debian installed on a new machine with a
> SATA drive. I've downloaded CD images for both sarge and sid, and both
> installation methods hang at the same point:

> Detected module 'ide-probe-mod' for 'Linux IDE probe driver'"
>
> I have reason to believe that the system is hanging because of the SATA
> drive. I think that I need to use a 2.6.0 kernel. Is this right? How do
> I create an installation CD with a different kernel?

  you need a fairly new kernel for SATA, 2.4.21 iwth ac4 patches, I
think. If you have a large SATA drive (>130GB) you also need libata5
patches from Jeff Garzik. I have 2.4.21-ac and manually applied libata5
patch (and 250 GB Matrox on intel D865PERL motherboard)

  Some of the newer kernels might work without ac or Jeff's patches,
hard to tell. Check the linux kernel mailing list archives (search for
SATA)

        erik