Hi,

Is there any way I can reset the directory/partition that apt uses
to install software? I believe it currently install packages under
/usr... and /var....

The history of *nix is very diverse and reflected in the (needless?)
complexity of its directory structure. /usr is very large and used
for many purposes, and I'd like to move a little beyond it's current
default - at least for my own system.

I'd like to be able to set up a separate partition/directory to
contain all the software that I install using apt for security,
backup and upgrade purposes. The advantage of this would be similar
to using a separate partition/directory for /home, /opt or
/usr/local.

Thus, for example, I'll be able to upgrade my base system without
affecting my packages and upgrade them later, one at a time, at
my leisure if I wish. (Yes I know there are other ways of doing
this.)

A separate partition could also provide advantages for backup and
security, but what I'm really interested in is in keeping things
well organized and neat. I'd like to create a partition something
like /apt with subdirectories like /apt/bin, /apt/opt,
/apt/usr/local, etc. It might even be nice to put each app/utiltity
in its own directory? :)

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does apt rely on any
environment variables for example?

        tia,

        bill