On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:58:47 -0700
Paul E Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:
: I don't know the answer to your question, but:
:
: The thing that really sold me on switching from RH to Debian was a
: document called File Heirarchy Standard. FHS sets out in great
: detail exactly where every type of file should be placed on a
: Debian machine, and why. You should really read and understand
: that document before you start re-inventing the wheel. A lot of
: thinking, discussion, and argument went into producing FHS. I
: suppose that it could be improved upon, but you really need to be
: intimately familiar with it, if you are going to have a chance of
: success. There are all sorts of considerations that get ignored in
: a first pass design. Educate yourself before you launch into
: shuffling things around.

Yeah, I read it many years ago - before there were package managers
I think. It's gone basically nowhere because IMHO it tries to
shoehorn everyone into the same standard. Desktops, servers,
single-disk systems, multi-disk systems, disk-array systems, NFS
systems and so on. There's no way one standard can serve everyone's
best interest. AFAIK distros don't even make use of FHS dirs
like/usr/local and /opt on installation. So why should I adhere to
it? Originally, /usr served the same purpose as /home does today,
but now you've got tons of software installed there too. Messy.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel, but I would like to have
options. Most of the structure is the way it is for good historical
reasons and I accept that. Some people are going to need to keep
things exactly the way they are. If someone needs to use /usr/local
under NFS be my guest. But if I'm not running NFS......well choice
is what linux is about - at least limited choice. All I'm looking
for is a better way to use apt and install software - something more
in tune with my needs.

And yes educating myself it what I'm doing by asking questions.

        Thanks for the advice,

        bill