From: Michael Milliman [mailto:michael.e.milli...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 11:27 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Repository Problem

On 04/15/2016 12:06 PM, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

I just had a catastrophic crash which necessitated reinstalling Debian.  I had
been running v-7.2,but decided to upgrade to v-7.10 with a complete install.

Now when I update the repositories, regardless of the tool, Synaptic or
Aptitude, I get the following errors:

W: Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/main/source/Sources: 404
Not Found [IP: 2610:148:1f10:3::89 80]
W: Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/contrib/source/Sources:
404  Not Found [IP: 2610:148:1f10:3::89 80]
W: Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/non-free/source/Sources:
404  Not Found [IP: 2610:148:1f10:3::89 80]
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.
E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

Your deb-src lines should read as follows:

deb-src
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy-updates/main/source/Sources
deb-src
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy-updates/contrib/source/Sources
deb-src
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy-updates/non-free/source/Sources

Note that you have .../dists/wheezy/updates/... in your sources.list file
instead of the correct .../dists/wheezy-updates/...

I do not get these errors if I comment out the deb-src lines in the
sources.list.

Now, I know that it has to be a problem with the new install as I have
installed v-7.10 in a VMware Workstation 12 Player on my laptop as a test bed
and do not get any errors.

I would greatly appreciate help resolving this issue,.

Thanks in  advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.       Life is a fuzzy set
www.Molecular-Modeling.net     Stochastic and multivariate

--
Mike

Thanks for the suggestion.

The new error message is a malformation at the first line f the suggested
solution.

There are several additional points to be made:

1.        I get the same error when the repository is “devbain.uchicago.edu’
And, most  importantly,

2.       The errors arise from sources.list entries made by the Debian
installer, not by my editing the file.

I am, however, most appreciative of the support that I am receiving from the
members of the mailing list.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.               Life is a fuzzy set

www.molecular-modeling.net     Stochastic and Multivariate

s.mol...@sbcglobal.net

(614)312-7528(c)

Skype:  smolnar1