I 've got the solution :-))

Am Don, 2003-11-13 um 23.54 schrieb duck:

> > As I am booting from floppy-disk: Does the kernel read my /etc/lilo.conf
> > on my harddisk or is there some /etc/lilo.conf on the floppy itself.
> > Maybe this is the reason why it doesn't work??
>
> The floppy disk may be a factor. I'm not sure. I don't boot off
> floppy disk and I don't use LILO (switched to GRUB). Check out
> dmesg. You should have a line similar to
>
> Kernel command line: root=/dev/hde5 ro
>
> Which will tell you what parameters are being passed to the kernel. If
> all that append guff doesn't come up here, edit the boot prompt by
> hand, i.e. when the lilo boot screen appears
>
> boot: linux
>
> append the append line from lilo.conf, thus:
>
> boot: linux hdc=ide-scsi ide-cd ignore=hdc <enter>

That's it!

As I am booting from floppy-disk (the bios of my machine doesn't
recognize harddisk over 4 GB - and mine has 40GB!)
the kernel on the floppy cannot read my /etc/lilo.conf on my harddisk
(where I put all the correct parameters) so it couldn't get them at
boottime.

When I give the parameters after the boot-prompt it WORKS ! :-)

Thanks a lot for your hints and your patience!!

Well now I have to options:

first is always to put the parameters by hand when I will going to burn
CDs

second: I could try to flash my bios - which I haven't been trying till
now because some people told me that this is a very tricky thing which
could destroy my motherboard resp. the bios-chip. Well, I 'll see ....

yours sincerely, Richard