On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 05:27:13PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> > > Ahh the question is HOW <chuckle>
> > > Bought Cat6 straight thru cable. Neither machine has a light to
> > > blink, but both reacted indicating cable present - but no
> > > communication established YET.
> >
> > Reacted how?
>
> The WinXP machine no longer reported a disconnected cable.
> The Jessie Mate machine now reported it was attempting to establish a
> connection.
>
> IOW both machines recognized a PHYSICAL connection.
> *NOTHING MORE*
>

> > Have you assigned an IP address to each?  Done an ifup on the
> > Debian box, and the equivalent on the Windows box?
>
> No.
> As of now I'm missing much underlying 'education'.
> However "EDUCATION" is an explicit goal.
>

> > HOW are you trying to establish communication?  Have you tried a
> > ping? Something else?
>
> This is only a "status" report.
> I am groping for the questions I *SHOULD BE* asking ;/

There is a classic model of networking in which there are 7 (or
9) layers, each one using the one below it. Here's the
simplified version:

Application Protocol
TCP or UDP socket
IP
network connection

At this point you have the network connection set up, so you
need to configure an IP network on top of it.

When there are only (small number) nodes, you can hand-configure
each machine.

The 192.168.x.y network is traditionally used for this. (There
are two others, one of which is 10.x.y.z, the other of which is
rarely used.)

Tell both machines that they are on the 192.168.1.0 network. The
network mask is 255.255.255.0, or /24 in CIDR notation. There is
no gateway. One machine can have the address 192.168.1.10, and
the other 192.168.1.20.

When that is done, you should be able to use ping to get a
response from the other machine's address:

$ ping -c 1 192.168.1.10
PING 192.168.10 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 192.168.1.10 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

$

At that point, you can consider client and server applications.

-dsr-