On 08/17/2016 02:14 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I did purchase an "8-Port Gigabit Switch". I don't intend open the
> shrink wrap unless convinced there is no other way. As I've said
> elsewhere a major motivation is educational.

I'd recommend a residential router with WiFi, Gigabit ports, and full
support for purpose-built FOSS firewall distributions, such as:

    http://dd-wrt.com/site/index

> Why would I be interested in ssh as both machines are sitting on my desk
> and _neither_ will be connected to the internet when ethernet connection
> is live?

1.  You can ssh from one machine to the other (if both have sshd service).

2.  You will want the Internet connection to be live while the computers
are connected to the local area network (LAN).

David