Le 18/08/2016 à 18:17, rhkra...@gmail.com a écrit :
Is there any way to add another partition after copying the the DVD-1 install
image to the pendrive?

Sure. Just use any partitioning tool as long as it does not choke on the invalid layout of the partition table (the two partitions overlap and one overlaps the MBR).

I found subchapter 4.3. of the Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide: "Preparing
Files for USB Memory Stick Booting"
(https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/ch04s03.html.en) and tried to
follow some of the instructions--In section 4.3.1. Preparing a USB stick using
a hybrid CD or DVD image, I see:

<quote>
The hybrid image on the stick does not occupy all the storage space, so it may
be worth considering using the free space to hold firmware files or packages or
any other files of your choice. This could be useful if you have only one stick
or just want to keep everything you need on one device.

Did they really write this ? The last time I created an extra partition and tried to use it for such purpose, it didn't work. The installer just seemed to skip any partition on the same device as itself. I had to manually mount the extra partition to some directory I don't remember (had to check into the installer logs /var/log/syslog) so that the installer eventually could find the firmware files on it.

From the above, I inferred that I should be able to create a 2nd partition
after copying the DVD-1 image to the pendrive

You mean a third one : the Debian installer ISO hybrid images, at least for i386 or amd64, already define two partitions : one for the ISO filesystem and one for the EFI boot.

, but I tried quite a few
approaches (that I might describe in a follwup email if someone really wants
to know) and I'm beginning to believe it can't be done that way.

And, that, instead, you have to follow the procedures in section 4.3.3.
"Manually copying files to the USB stick \u2014 the flexible way".

This is a completely different approach.

In any case, note that Windows or other OS's may not see more than one partition on a USB pendrive. I still wonder how it makes the differences with a USB disk.