On Friday 19 August 2016 18:38:05 Maureen L Thomas wrote:

> On 08/19/2016 06:31 PM, Brian wrote:
> > On Fri 19 Aug 2016 at 17:59:06 -0400, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> >> Ok, so I got rid of the windows machine and found a card that fit
> >> the old machine.  It needs the rtl_nic driver to work.  Fine I have
> >> that firmware and the needed driver on a USB stick and on an iso
> >> disk for stretch.  The USB is just the firmware for these type of
> >> cards.  I must be losing my mind because I cannot remember how to
> >> get the driver to install off of the USB to my existing weezy
> >> system.  Thank you for even reading this but I need help. I did try
> >> apt-get install but it didn't find the file on the USB>
> >
> > "rtl_nic" means little to me; it might resonate more with others.
> > Why do you need a driver for it?
> >
> > Please give the *exact* names of the firmware and driver you have on
> > the USB stick and say where you got them from.
>
> I got the firmware from debian downloads.  I put a new nic card in my
> computer so I can connect to the internet.  I need the
> rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw driver to get it to work.  I have that driver on
> my usb stick.  I need to install it from the usb stick to the computer
> with weezy on it.  I don't remember if there is a way to do that.

Simple is you don't mind going around the package manager.

Mount the usb key, locate that file, and cp it to /lib/firmware/

Supposedly that should be all you'll need to do unless there is a loader
file that should go with it.  You will probably need to preface the cp
with a sudo, & give your user passwd to gain the root rights to do that.

> Does that help.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)