On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 04:16:42PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Thanks. I'll try it as soon as copy of DVD#2 ends.
> What's special about a loop mount in this circumstance? As I read
> the rsync man page it was pretty similar to cp and it had
> accepted a plain automount [I'm on Jessie with Mate DE]]

rsync vs. cp won't make any difference if the destination directory
is empty.  In either case, you have to read every byte of input and
write every byte of output.

rsync is tremendously useful when you've already got a partial copy
of the input.  It uses heuristics to figure out what it actually needs
to copy, and skips the parts you already have.