On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 04:16:42PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 8/23/2016 4:05 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 03:18:30PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>I'm copying Debian distribution DVDs.
> >>I used
> >>   cp -R /media/cdrom0 /media/richard/myrepository/dvd_1
> >>
> >>It gave me what I wanted [*N.B.* I did not want dvd_1.iso]
> >>It was SLOW.
> >>The man page for rsync suggested that it could do it faster.
> >>Can it?
> >>If so, what is correct syntax to get the same result as the command above?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >
> >Loop mount the DVD
> >
> >mount -t iso /media/cdrom0 -o loop /mnt
> >
> >cd /mnt
> >
> >and you should see all the files within the DVD.
> >
> >cd /media/richard/repository/dvd_1/
> >
> >rsync -pavz /mnt/ .
> >
> >Should do it. If you stop and restart rsync, it should start from the place
> >it left off,more or less.
> >
> >Hope this helps,
> >
> >AndyC
>
> Thanks. I'll try it as soon as copy of DVD#2 ends.
> What's special about a loop mount in this circumstance? As I read the rsync
> man page it was pretty similar to cp and it had accepted a plain automount
> [I'm on Jessie with Mate DE]]

Loop mount allows you to "see inside" the mounted media, effectively.

I've just noticed a typo - if you want to copy and paste the instructions, then
for you, at least,
that will need to be

cd /media/richard/myrepository/dvd_1/ ; rsync -pavz /mnt/ .

[I missed out the "my" in myrepository :) ]

As someone else pointed out: you still need to copy everything so it can be
slow especially on 4G - essentially you're probably copying from one
portion of the disk to another so lots of reads and writes on the same disk.
Rsync just allows you to start/stop much more readily.

All the best,

AndyC