On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 11:24:00 -0400
Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflyby...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oooohhh, shiny new toy that I just found because of you. This came via
> "man apt-show-versions":
>
> To upgrade all packages in testing:
>
>            apt-get install `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep testing`
>
> Actually having some cognitive abilities functioning today, I further
> stepped out on a limb and just ran:
>
> apt-cache show `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep sid`
>
> It gave me some things back! One more test:
>
> apt-cache show `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep jessie`
>
> Returned this error:
>
> E: No packages found
>
> Woohoo!!! (Because it's giving varying answers based on query changes)
>
> Yes, no, I understand that still might not quite be the answer sought
> after in this thread, BUT it *is* pulling based on [release versions].
> That means at least some of the developer work is already addressed if
> this in fact doesn't quite provide the desired results BUT would work
> with some flag tweaking.

Nice. After these suggestions I hastily put together a small python
script, that might come close to what Raju wants:

#!/usr/bin/python

from commands import getoutput

allpkgs = getoutput('apt-show-versions -b').splitlines()

jessie = [p for p in allpkgs if 'jessie' in p]
stretch = [p for p in allpkgs if 'stretch' in p]
sid = [p for p in allpkgs if 'sid' in p]

onlyjessie = [p for p in jessie if not p in (stretch+sid)]
for p in onlyjessie:
    print(p.split(':')[0])

Regards

Michael

We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!