On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 05:11:34PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> Other convenience scripts of similar nature get their own packages and
> put into 'contrib'.

The ones you have mentioned already (b43-fwcutter, flashplugin-nonfree and
ttf-mscorefonts-installer) do nothing useful without additional, non-free
bits, which is why they are in contrib. E.g. flashplugin-nonfree is useless
without the non-free flash bits it downloads. It sounds like hp-plugin in
isolation is similar, and would fit the bill for contrib; however, if a
hypothetical separate hp-plugin package would depend on the hplip package
which it is carried in now, then it's reasonably pragmatic for the hplip
package to just carry the script, since the majority of functionality
offered by the hplip package still does not require the non-free bits.

On the other hand, if that script is the sole reason for the Python
dependencies, then it would be a service to other users to split out that
script for that reason. The place to start would be checking for, and if
necessary filing, a wishlist bug.

There is a cost involved in having lots of small packages, that we all pay in
terms of the size of the distribution Packages list, and the additional
complexity of managing the source packages for developers and the bugs that
would result.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.