On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Sven Hartge <s...@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailingli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Where is it documented that httpredir is deprecated and that we should
>> use deb.debian.org's service going forward? Has it been announce
>> somewhere?
>
> There has been a thread on debian-devel (I can't find the Message-ID at
> the moment) and the latest version of the next debian-installer for
> Stretch switched the URL from httpredir.debian.org to deb.debian.org.
>
>> Also, will it work for Jessie or is it more for stretch or later?
>
> It will work a bit more efficient for Stretch+, but it also works as
> intended for Wheezy and Jessie.

Thanks Sven. Is this still a beta service or mature enough to be
recommended to debian users? Hopefully there is a formal announcement
on this. As it stands, httpredir is mentioned in many places. For
example

https://www.debian.org/mirror/list
https://www.debian.org/mirror/
http://httpredir.debian.org/

and is all over the wiki (there are 145 hits for httpredir
site:wiki.debian.org in google).

Now I feel stupid for filing
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=845769 today morning
asking httpredir to be discussed in the debian-handbook. :FacePalm:

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog