Hi,

Nimrod wrote:
> I see a "----+" in your permission. What is that, and how could I get it too?

It indicates that there is a non-trivial ACL and that it is worth to run
program getfacl to see all permissions.

  $ getfacl /dev/sr0
  # file: dev/sr0
  # owner: root
  # group: cdrom
  user::rw-
  user:<my desktop user name>:rw-
  group::rw-
  mask::rw-
  other::---

I.e. my desktop user explicitely has rw permission independently of his
group memberships.

> > putting them all into group "cdrom".

> They all are already.

Consider Pascal Hambourg's theory that only the one can eject who mounted.

If the automounter (udisks ?) acts on your desktop user's behalf or on
its own user id, then permissions on the device file might be not enough
to operate it.

In this case you need to get your automounter under control.

> sometimes I'm even prompted for
> password to eject a CD I myself put into the drive!

What happens if the various users perform the command

  eject /dev/sr0

in a shell terminal ? Especially the superuser should have success.

Maybe you can enable all your family members to perform
  sudo eject /dev/sr0
and provide some icon for this command on the desktop. (I assume family
does not like shell commands.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas